“So then because thou art lukewarm, and neither cold nor hot, I will spue thee out of my mouth.”
God does not accept half-hearted worship and service – only our very best. This was true in the beginning of time when God would only accept Abel’s sacrifice of his best, and rejected Cain’s sacrifice because it was not his best fruit (see Genesis 4:1-7).
In the Old Testament, because of King Josiah’s sacrifice of his best service, Judah was blessed of God. But the people of Judah did what they did because of fear of King Josiah, not because it was in their heart. (see 2 Kings 22-23:28) Consequently, as a nation it was half-hearted and God was not pleased, neither did he accept them:
“And yet for all this her treacherous sister Judah hath not turned unto me with her whole heart, but feignedly, saith the LORD.” (Jeremiah 3:10)
“I will spue thee out of my mouth” – you will ليس be used to speak for me. You will ليس have the authority of Jesus behind your message. Your lack of earnestness and self sacrifice is distasteful to me.
Any of God’s words that we speak will not have the true authority of God behind them unless they come from an obedient heart that is hot with the fire of the Holy Ghost burning within:
“Wherefore I give you to understand, that no man speaking by the Spirit of God calleth Jesus accursed: and that no man can say that Jesus is the Lord, but by the Holy Ghost.” (I Cor 12:3)
The Holy Ghost came to do two things: to do the will of the Father (not his own) and to glorify the Son (John 16:13-14). If we claim to have the Holy Spirit then the same full purpose and testimony should be manifest through our lives. Self-will and self-purpose should no longer be our motivation and inspiration because Jesus is truly Lord over everything to us. We have a duty to not just speak his word that comes from his mouth, but to earnestly live and love them:
- “For the priest’s lips should keep knowledge, and they should seek the law at his mouth: for he is the messenger of the LORD of hosts.” (Malichi 2:7)
- “For the LORD giveth wisdom: out of his mouth cometh knowledge and understanding.” (Proverbs 2:6)
- “But he answered and said, It is written, Man shall not live by bread alone, but by every word that proceedeth out of the mouth of God.” (Matthew 4:4)
- “And I have put my words in thy mouth, and I have covered thee in the shadow of mine hand, that I may plant the heavens, and lay the foundations of the earth, and say unto Zion, Thou art my people.” (Isaiah 51:16)
- “And the LORD said unto him, Who hath made man’s mouth? or who maketh the dumb, or deaf, or the seeing, or the blind? have not I the LORD? Now therefore go, and I will be with thy mouth, and teach thee what thou shalt say… …And thou shalt speak unto him, and put words in his mouth: and I will be with thy mouth, and with his mouth, and will teach you what ye shall do.” (Exodus 4:11-15)
And this requirement that we be “hot” for the Lord and his word and work is not just a requirement for the true Christians of the past 6 church ages. Jesus very plainly is stating that he expects and requires it just as much today!
“As for me, this is my covenant with them, saith the LORD; My spirit that is upon thee, and my words which I have put in thy mouth, shall not depart out of thy mouth, nor out of the mouth of thy seed, nor out of the mouth of thy seed’s seed, saith the LORD, from henceforth and for ever.” (Isaiah 59:21)